Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Chicken and Eggplant Casserole

So last night I did something I have never done before... I made Eggplant for dinner. I had never eaten Eggplant, let alone cook it, so I was a little nervous about trying this recipe. But I was pleasantly surprised with how good it turned out! (I wouldn't be sharing it with you if it hadn't :) The recipe came from the South Beach Diet Cook book. It was pretty easy and healthy!

Chicken and Eggplant Casserole
Ingredients:
1 eggplant, peeled and sliced into 12ish slices
2 T parmesan
1/2 t garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 pound chicken breast (I only used one frozen chicken breast and that was plenty)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 med onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup mushroom sliced
3/4 t dried Italian seasoning
1/4 t pepper
1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese.

Instructions:
Arrange slices on a cookie sheet, mist with cooking spray (I didn't have cooking spray so I brushed them with some olive oil) then broil for 2 or so minutes until golden brown.
Then flip them over and mist and sprinkle with parm and broil for another 1 minute or until golden.
Spray a skillet with cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil then cook the chicken till no longer pink. Add the tomatoes (with juice), onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, and pepper stirring occasionally. Bring to boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. 
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. 
Coat a 8" baking dish with cooking spray (or olive oil). Arrange half the eggplant in the bottom of the dish then top with the chicken mixture and then top with the remaining eggplant. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese cover with foil and bake for 30ish minutes. Then enjoy! 
It really was good! And there was enough for Russ and I to eat it for dinner and lunch the next day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...